1. Fernley (Last Week 1). Fernley looks to be unstoppable right now. After a slow start against Wooster last week, the Vaqueros went on to win 42-14. Zach Burns may be the best quarterback in the league. One more victory gives Fernley a first-round bye in the regional playoffs. That week off will be helpful. The Vaqueros host Truckee this week.
2. Churchill County (Last Week 3). If it was not for a fourth-quarter collapse against Fernley, Churchill County would hold the top spot. Except for a 35-34 win over South Tahoe, the Greenwave have been dominant in the Northern 3A. What I thought was a rebuilding year may turn into a regular season championship.
3. Truckee (Last Week 4). Dare I say the Truckee of old is back? The Wolverines proved they are among the best of the league after beating Spring Creek 26-14 last week in California. The only hiccup this season was a blowout loss to Churchill County. Truckee can prove to the 3A that they are for real with a win at Fernley this week. Depending on the outcome of two games, the top of the rankings could see a big shakeup.
4. Spring Creek (Last Week 2). Spring Creek has dropped three spots in the last two weeks with consecutive losses. The Spartans were aided by playing the easy part of the schedule in September. Spring Creek has gone through the gauntlet of Fernley, Truckee and now Churchill County this week. The only thing helping is the Greenwave traveling to Spring Creek. The Spartans need to find the magic that sent them to the state championship game in 2016.
5. South Tahoe (Last Week 5). South Tahoe has righted the ship after struggling in the early part of September. It was tough to learn anything last week, with the Vikings beating Dayton 56-13. The Dust Devils would have a tough time making the playoffs in the Northern 2A. We will see what South Tahoe is made of with a trip to Elko this week. The Vikings will be a tough match-up in the playoffs.
6. Elko (Last Week 7). Elko earns this spot by default. The Indians escaped with an 18-14 win over Lowry last week. The Buckaroos could have easily won that game. Elko is not the team they have been in the past. It appears the Indians might sneak into the playoffs, but it will likely be a short stay. Elko are Lowry fans this week. Never thought I would say that.
7. Lowry (Last Week 8). Even though Lowry has won just one game, this is a squad that should have easily won three games and be in playoff contention. Little mistakes at the wrong time have hurt the Buckaroos. Lowry has to shake off the tough loss to Elko and head to Sparks this week. If Lowry plays like it has in the past three weeks, the Buckaroos should beat the Railroaders. If Lowry loses, they ruin Elko' season, who likely misses the playoffs.
8. Sparks (Last Week 7). The win over Elko seems years ago, as Sparks has run into trouble in the past few weeks. The feel-good story of the year is coming to a crashing halt. The Railroaders can save their season with a win over Lowry and still have a chance to make the playoffs.
9. Wooster (Last Week 9). The season can’t end quick enough for Wooster. The bad news, Wooster is moving back to the Northern 4A in 2018. The Colts will likely get their second win of the season when they play Dayton this week. Wooster thought it could rebuild its program in the 3A — it never happened.
10. Dayton (Last Week 10). Dayton has owned this spot all year and that will not change anytime soon. Not sure what the Dust Devils can do to get back on a winning track. Dayton wants to move to the 2A, but that will not happen anytime soon.