LOVELOCK — You can’t see radon. And you can’t smell it or taste it. But it may be a problem in your home.
Radon is estimated to cause many thousands of deaths each year. That’s because when you breathe air containing radon, you can get lung cancer. In fact, the Surgeon General has warned that radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States today. Once smoking causes more lung cancer deaths. If you smoke and your home has high radon levels, your risk of lung cancer is especially high.
Radon can be found all over the United States. Radon comes from the natural (radioactive) breakdown of uranium in soil, rock and weather and gets into the air you breathe. It can get into any type of building-homes, offices and schools-and build up to high levels. But you and your family are most likely to get your greatest exposure at home. That’s where you spend most of your time.
Radon typically moves up through the ground to the air above and into your home through cracks and other holes in the foundation. Your home traps radon inside, where it can build up. Any home may have a radon problem. This means new and old homes, well-sealed and drafty homes, and homes with or without basements.
Testing is the only way to know if you and your family are at risk from radon. EPA and the Surgeon General recommend testing all homes below the third floor for radon. EPA also recommends testing in schools.
Testing is inexpensive and easy-it should only take a few minutes of your time. Millions of American’s have already tested their homes for radon. EPA recommends that you test your home for Radon, fix your home if your radon level is 4 picocuries per liter or higher. Radon levels less than 4 pCi/L still post a risk and in many cases may be reduced.
Beginning January 2, 2018 through February 28, 2018, short term radon test kits will be available at no cost, at the University of Nevada Cooperative Extension Office at 810 6th Street, Lovelock, Nevada. What better time than now to test your home. For more information, please call 775-273-2923.